Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 7: Manta, Montecristi and San Lorenzo, Ecuador

Day 7 began in Manta early as we proceeded to view the fresh fish market on Manta's harbor. We were a little late to the party at around 8:30am since most of the business is conducted between 6 and 8am. However a number of stalls were still open and there was still some action going on. In our first picture of the day we can see our friend here creating large steaks of some kind of fish. We confirmed it was not tuna. Right beside the sales stalls there are a number of small stands that provide fresh fish meals for very low cost. All of the local restaurants purchase their fish from this market. Having been to Pike Street in Seattle, I can say this fish market is way bigger, but a little rougher around the edges. But let me say these guys can carve a large fish with a machete with artisan skill.

Before leaving for Montecristi we walked a few paces down the road to watch large boats being made by hand out of wood. These are pretty cool to see and the picture below shows a relatively finished product.

Montecristi sits half way up a hill just 15 minutes outside of Manta. We entered the shop below in search of Panama hats. This shop was featured in a segment by The Early Show, live from the main square in Montecristi. We know this because the shop worker showed us the VHS. These hats are all hand woven and have different degrees of quality which are directly proportional to the price. We picked some along the middle of the road. The price listed was $80, and we paid $60. Back in the US you can expect to pay anywhere from $200-300 for a similar hat. So buy them here. I practiced my golf swing in the shop to see if the hat would stay on my head. Success. Now I will open a new chapter in my golf career by wearing my Panama hat, unless my first round is over 100 then the hat stays of the golf course. We golfers are weird that way.

Ho hum, another beautiful and picturesque drive south along the coast to San Lorenzo. The scenery on these drives is just spectacular yet we are getting accustomed to the beauty a little bit. I feel like I should take a billion pictures, but my iPhone would probably quit and go back to the States. Today is our last day on the Ecuadorian Pacific Coast. Tomorrow we head back to Quito into the Andes. So we go from ocean to mountains.

Tonight we are having a grill out at our host's place here in Manta. What a nice gesture from our friends at Ecuadorean Coastal Properties. Tomorrow I will post pictures from the dinner.

Did you know: Ecuador is one of the largest exporters of tuna in the world. Maybe that is why my sashimi was as fresh as I have ever tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment