Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 5: Manabi Province, Ecuador













Reporting from: Oceanside deck of Howard Johnson Hotel, Manta, Ecuador

Day 5 began for us in Manta, with a planned day trip to Bahia and Canoa. Today we began the
second phase of our tour with our guide Garrett. Gabriel is off the clock but not forgotten. And NO, I cannot bring him back to the US for you ladies because Ecuadorians are not allowed to leave the country without permission. A good looking guy like him may have a tough time convincing the government he will return. They want to keep their young and smart people here, but not letting them travel? C'MON MAN! If you want to try and marry him, be my guest... and good luck.

Before I start today's update I would first like to make a short plug for Ecuadorean Coastal Propeties, owned and operated by Richard Parker, an American ex-pat from Alaska. Richard has been kind enough to make our arrangements while in Ecuador, for which we are extremely grateful. Richard's son Garrett is now our tour guide, and of course is good friends with the now famous Gabriel.

I highly recommend the services of Richard and Garrett for all of your Ecuador needs. Please check out their website at www.ecuadoreancoastalproperties.com.

Further, if you want tour guide service in Ecuador and need my thoughts on the matter, let me know, and then I will connect you with Richard and Garrett.

The 70km trip to Bahia de Caraquez takes a lot longer than you would think. The roads north of Manta are not quite as nice as those linking Salinas and Manta. However, like most things in Ecuador, I feel the effort is being made and the potential is there. Garrett handles the roads like a pro and has great local knowledge.

Our first event of the day is drinking fresh water from a coconut at a roadside stand. $1 for a coconut and you can optionally keep the "meat" from the inside if you want. All I can say is that I have bought coconut water on Amazon and it tasted nothing like this! In the picture above you can see our humble salesman chop my coconut for my drinking pleasure.

Bahia de Caraquez sits on a Bay at the mouth of a river. It is surrounded by bluffs on both sides and provides a nice backdrop for a tourist visit. We visit a school which houses a 102-year-old turtle which floated from the Galapagos. No kidding, this turtle lives in the school yard and loves it when you splash bottled water on him. We keep our comfortable distance in the photo above, though the turtle seems to enjoy our presence. Garrett asked me if I wanted to pet the turtle and I sheepishly said "Mmmmm, nah."

Honestly, there does not seem to be a whole heck of a lot to do or see in Bahia, with all due respect to those who live there. It just does not jump out and scream "Here is where I want to be." That place is Canoa, a short 20 minute drive to the North.

Canoa is very much like Mantanita. Garrett navigates the sandy streets like a pro and drops us off at the Hotel Bambu for lunch and the requisite afternoon beers. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of Ecuadorians from the Highlands down here on a Sunday, enjoying temperatures in the low-mid 80s and low humidity. The picture above on the main beach road is my iPhone attempt to capture how many people are here.

For all my Caniac Tailgate crowd, these people blow us out of the water. Seriously. With tents, grills, fresh seafood from the ocean and various rum-filled drinks (and beer) we need to step up our game. There are, at my estimation, probably 1000 or more tents, most of which are full-service tailgate-worthy. Unbelieveable.

We made a stop at a nice hotel/hostel where Garrett knew the owner, Daniel. We lounged in Canoa's only swimming pool and drank beer and some Johnny Walker Red Label with tonic. I met 2 Canadians in the pool, one of which is a part owner of a business in North Bay. What a small world.

After dragging me out of the pool, we drove back to Manta. Sunday is a quiet night in Manta and our restaurant was not crowded. Here's the weird part, I go to the hotel bar and ask for a beer and they tell me it is illegal to sell alcohol on Sunday's after 4pm without a meal. I laughed and asked what in the world they do for Superbowl. The bartender smiled politely (as all Ecuadorians do) but he did not understand the magnitude of my statement. I guess it is OK. But I am sure there is an act of Government required if Ecuador plays in the World Cup on a Sunday afternoon!

Well folks, tomorrow it looks like I may attempt surfing again. My legs and arms still hurt from yesterday but I am sure I can ride a wave or two out there on the Pacific Ocean!

The top most picture posted is from the balcony of our hotel. Just FYI. Ok, bye for now!

Did you know: 92% of Ecuador's fresh fruit and vegetables come from Manabi Province, where we are located (albeit at the southern end). There are some fruits here that I have eaten that I have never seen before, nor can describe, but were absolutely amazing to eat!



No comments:

Post a Comment