Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 4: Salinas to Manta, Ecuador













Reporting from: Howard Johnson, Manta.


The day began by yours truly running up and down the Salinas boardwalk. The temperature at 9:30 was already 82 degrees and humid. This is not a bad temperature to run in if you are from NC and are used to it. Still, since I have been dropped straight out of winter into summer, I struggled to break 25 minutes on a 5K this morning. I call myself the White Flash. People were giving me the stare down as I ran down the boardwalk. There were lots of runners out there, though the universal runner wave to everyone you meet does not apply down here. It really hurt my feelings that no one waved to me!


Before continuing further, I should mention that the first picture posted is from yesterday in Punta Carnero. I thought it was a nice group photo.


Today's travel day began around 11am after the boys decided to partake in the breakfast buffet. I declined, choosing a soak in the pool and my Kashi Trail Mix bars. Since we all received breakfast with our room I wanted to give mine to Gabriel. However, for some reason the hotel staff did not believe he was my Dad's son. So they had to pay for his. I'm not sure I see the difference between me and Gabriel. Please discuss amongst yourselves.


The climate is very arid in Salinas and resembles very much a desert-like climate. I called it "Arizona by the ocean." No one seemed to argue. The transition begins slowly into more rolling green hills and trees by the time you reach Mantanita, about 40 mile north. One then starts to see the mountains and hills brush right up against the ocean making for some spectacular pictures one of which we post above. That picture does not do the scene justice (crappy iPhone camera!). We were at the top of a hill overlooking miles of coast and forest.


As you continue north the climate returns to a more arid one, but not as much as Salinas. It is fascinating how the geography meanders between tropical and arid along the coast.


Today's theme is: Travelling the Coastal Highway. Above you can see the ride we have been in since Thursday. This is Gabriel's 1996 Jeep Cherokee. Today we hit 300,000 Km at some point. For those in the US that is precisely 187,500 miles.


The coastal highway is an amazing ride. I’m glad I don’t have to drive though. Like I said earlier in the week, the driving is just really aggressive. I have not felt in danger or like my life was about to end. Once we left the rather flat south part of the coast, we started into a more twisting and winding road through what I will call the coastal mountains. However to Ecuadorians these are "just hills."


Anyway what is really cool about the first part of the journey up the coast is that you have a major 4 lane highway parallel to miles of beach and there are lots of little beach huts, restaurants and tiki bars all not 20 feet from the highway. So one needs to be prepared for cars pulling out into the highway with no warning. If you stopped and had a drink at every ocean side bar from Salinas to Mantanita, you would have a blast, but probably need some help walking.


We stopped in Ayangue for a few minutes. It is a few minutes off the highway and we would never have seen it unless Gabriel had shown us. He said only locals come here. The great thing about having a personal tour guide is the fact that we did not have to a) drive anywhere and b) did not have to decide where to go, we left all the decisions up to Gabriel.


Next stop was Los Tunas. Here one finds, according to Gabriel, the most consistent waves in Ecuador. I am pleased (and proud) to say that I officially surfed today, grabbing 2 waves. I had an excellent teacher as Gabriel is a competitive surfer from days past, here in Ecuador. I can officially surf though I can barely lift my arms or walk right now.


Puerto Lopez was our next stop for some seafood and beers after everyone watched me surf. This small town is a jumping off point for tourists to Ecuador's only National Park, as well as Isla la Plata where many tourists flock to do some whale watching.


We arrived in Manta around 6:30 pm. The 200 km drive from Salinas took us about 7 hours, given that we stopped numerous times, including a near 2 hour stop for my surfing lesson.


Manta is a city of about 300,000 people. It is a major port in Ecuador and is quite lively. We are staying at the Howard Johnson Manta. Our room overlooks the ocean which is great. So is the price: oceanfront room for $75 per night.


Tomorrow we begin the next part of our tour with some real estate property tours. We plan to head north for a day trip up to Bahia. I will report back tomorrow.


Did you know: In 1732, an expedition by the French Academic Society was sent to Ecuador to determine if the Earth did in fact bulge at the equator. This was confirmed and completely altered the accepted view of the Earth.

1 comment:

  1. Pat,
    Good to see that you're still your sleek former self.
    Seems like a GREAT trip.
    Let's talk about that hotel investment after you're back.
    Pete

    ReplyDelete